Baked Besan Gujiya
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2016 times
The Baked Besan Gujiya is a crisp pocket of whole wheat flour dough stuffed with a rich mixture of roasted besan and nuts. This version of gujiya is interestingly healthier than the traditional version as it is baked rather than deep-fried.
Yet, it has an amazing crispness that gives way to the softness of the filling. You can bake a batch of this mithai and store it in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 or 4 days.
You can also try other healthy sweets like Badam Barfi and Oats and Dates Kheer .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the besan and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a big plate and cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the sugar and cardamom powder and mix very well.
- Add the almonds and walnuts and mix well. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions.
- Grease a rolling board with little ghee and roll a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter thin circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Put 1 tbsp of the prepared filling on half of the circle.
- Fold it over to make a semi-circle and seal the ends completely by pressing it with your finger.
- Again press it gently all over using a fork.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to shape 19 more gujiyas.
- Place them on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc (360ºf) for 15 minutes.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per karanji
|Vitamin A||29.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||14 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.