Crispy Paper Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 797 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 121771 times
Crispy paper dosa is a super-star whose fame has carried it from south india to the most famous restaurants all over the world! as the name suggests, this dosa is golden brown, crispy and so thin that a huge dosa can be made with just a ladle or two of batter. In hotels, it is generally folded up into a cone or roll before serving, making it a hot favourite amongst kids. Serve hot with chutney and sambhar for a delicious south indian meal.
- Wash and soak the raw rice and urad dal separately for 3 to 4 hours and drain well.
- Combine the rice, urad dal and rice flour and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using enough water to get a batter of thick pouring consistency.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly using ghee.
- Sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little ghee over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambhar.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.