Last Updated : Dec 25,2018
Viewed 45859 times
What is Dosa Batter? Dosa batter is a readily available batter to make dosas made of a combination of urad dal, raw rice and parboiled rice. Dosas are famous South Indian breakfast had all over India. They are made in varying sizes and are either stuffed with a stuffing inside made of tempered potatoes or are made thin and crispy, enjoyed plain with sambhar and coconut chutney. Dosas are made on a flat griddle using little oil. The dosa batter is scopped and then spread into a thin circle. Dosa batter is made using lentils and rice which are soaked and then then ground to a batter which is then fermented. Fermentation breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body. Dosas are generally eaten during lunch or dinner and are rich in carbohydrates and proteins.
Preparation of dosa requires correct amount of rice flour and pulses. The batter needs to be also fermented optimally and of correct consistency. In order to overcome these difficulties, readymade dosa batters has been developed availaible in local gorceries or shops.
These batters are a delightful and easy way to make the most mouth watering delicacies at home. Whether it is a special occasion or just a regular meal, prepare a delectable snack or meal for your family in minutes!
How to Select Dosa Batter Readymade dosa batters are available all over India. They are fermented and can be used instantly to make dosas at home.
Culinary Uses of Dosa Batter •Dosa batter is used to prepare a popular South Indian delicacy called dosa.
• Most often eaten at lunch or dinner, dosas are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambar, or other accompaniments. Dosas can be served with a stuffing or plain.
• The dosa batter can be used to prepare masala dosa, stuffed dosa, mysore dosa, plain dosa and paper dosa. Onion, potatoes, chillies, tomato, coconut or cheese may be added to improve taste and variation.
• They can be stuffed with vegetables, meats and sauces to create a quickly prepared meal
• Dosa batter can also be used to make uttapams which are thick pancakes topped with various vegetables, herbs and spices and is enjoyed as a snack, breakfast or a main meal.
How to Store Dosa Batter Store the mix in an airtight container and keep it in refriegrator not for more than 4 days.
Health Benefits of Dosa Batter • Those with wheat allergies or gluten intolerance will find the dosas a nice addition to their diets.
• Dosa batter provides a balanced combination of carbohydrate( rice) and protein( lentils) and hence helps in preparing a quick and healthy meal.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.