Tiramisu ( Italian Cookbook)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 550 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 66791 times
Italian cooking is never complete without the mention of this famed dessert that is as popular beyond the shores of italy as it is within italy. Literally translated tiramisu means “lift me up”. Tira mi su was named for its restorative properties - cream, cheese and wine that were thought to be excellent for those in poor health. The addition of expresso should give a lift to those in the best of health!
mascarpone traditionally used for this dessert which is a rich, soft cheese. It is smooth and mild in texture and originated in northern italy. Cream cheese has been substituted in place of mascarpone with equally good results. Marsala, an amber coloured wine from sicily, is a part of the traditional recipe. The sweeter variety is used for this dessert. Port wine has been found to be a good substitute if marsala is not available. You can arrange the tiramisu in individual glasses instead of a serving dish. But this is a must try recipe to lift up spirits!
- Cut a thin round of the sponge cake. Keep aside.
- Cut the remaining sponge cake into 12 mm. X 50 mm. (1/2" x 2") long fingers.
- Arrange the cake fingers on a baking tray and toast in a pre-heated oven at 160°c (320°f) for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a pan, heat the marsala wine with the sugar over gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Allow it to cool.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until soft peaks form. Keep refrigerated.
- Whisk the cream cheese and wine mixture together. Gently fold in the whipped cream. Keep aside.
- Arrange the cake round on the base of a 200 mm. (8") diameter serving dish. Soak generously with the coffee soaking syrup.
- Top with half of the cream cheese mixture. Freeze for 30 minutes until it has set.
- Dip each piece of toasted cake finger in the coffee soaking syrup for 10 seconds.
- Arrange the soaked cake fingers over the first layer of cream cheese. Top with the remaining cream cheese mixture. Freeze for 4 to 6 hours until set.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder on top. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.