This category has been viewed 1688 times
Healthy Recipes > Home Remedies >
Home Remedies Insomnia recipes
Last Updated : Jun 12,2018
What is Insomnia?
In simple terms, insomnia is lack of sleep. Insomnia deprives a person of mental rest and thereby interferes with one’s day-to-day activities. It is most commonly experienced in old age.
What are the Reasons for Insomnia?
1. Insomnia attacks those who are extremely hyper or are stressed and over exerted. On the other extreme, even those who do not have a very active lifestyle can be insomniacs.
2. Lack of physical activity.
3. Lack of nutrients due to an unbalanced diet.
4. Constipation, overeating, anger and mental tension are some other causes of sleepless nights.
Try one of the following remedies before going to bed to enjoy a peaceful night of restful sleep.
1. Milk: A glass of milk with or without honey mixed with turmeric powder taken just before going to bed daily is the best remedy for insomnia. Try Soothing Sleep Inducer Drink, for all-in-one remedy to insomnia. throughout the day.
2. Curds (dahi): Consume plenty of curds throughout the day. This helps in inducing sleep.
3. Onion: Consumption of raw onion at dinner time helps to overcome restless nights.
4.Nutmeg (jaiphal): Nutmeg powder mixed with water is an effective remedy for insomnia.
Foods to be Avoided
•Tea and coffee
•Aerated drinks and alcohol
•Canned and preserved foods
•Confectionery and mithai
•Spicy and strong flavoured foods especially before going to bed
7 Sleep Inducers
1. Adhere to a regular sleeping schedule, going to bed at a fixed time each night and getting up at a fixed time every morning. Early to bed and early to rise is a good rule.
2. Take a warm bath just before going to bed. Wear loose clothing and curl up with a relaxing book to unwind and induce restful sleep.
3. Try and avoid smoking and caffienated beverages as they can make you more hyper and retard relaxation.
4. Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables in any form as deficiencies of nutrients often lead to lack of sleep. An easy way to meet your nutrient requirement is to make salads a part of both your major meals — lunch and dinner.
5. Limit liquids of any kind for at least 1½ hours before bedtime as the need to urinate may wake you up in the middle of the night and break your restful sleep. It takes about 90 minutes for the body to process liquids. This problem is faced especially in older people.
6. Controlled breathing is also a great help in inducing sleep. The method is to lie on your side in bed and then take three deep breaths expanding the abdomen completely. Then hold your breath as long as you can. Holding the breath leads to accumulation of carbon dioxide which induces sleep.
7. Regular, active exercising during the day and mild exercise at bedtime enhances the duration and the quality of sleep.
23 Sep 13
Spinach and Mint Soup by Tarla Dalal
Soup, with a lovely taste and consistency. This soup is brimful of the goodness of spinach and spring onion greens, not to forget a dash of coriander and mint. The nutmeg and black pepper not only spike up the flavour, they also bring in their healing properties—making this a true herbal delight.
04 Jul 18
Soothing Sleep Inducer Drink by Tarla Dalal
Are odd work hours and stress taking their toll on your sleep? Sleep being something that nobody should compromise on, we have come up with this warm, soothing drink that will help you get a restful sleep
The contents o ....
04 Jul 18
Ajwain and Turmeric Milk by Tarla Dalal
Some remedies come with a superb flavour, which is very apt for the condition you are in! This age-old remedy for sore throat is a perfect example.
The healing properties of turmeric and ajwain are packaged with a soothing, slightly-spicy taste that will soothe your sore throat in a very appea ....
27 Mar 18
Paneer and Spinach Soup by Tarla Dalal
The protein-packed paneer and spinach soup is a meal in a bowl! generous use of moong dal, paneer and spinach make it extremely nourishing and filling, while the onion and pepper bring in their soothing yet sharp flavours.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.