- Dry ground the roasted muesli into fine or coarse powder as per the recipe. The powdered muesli can be stored in an airtight container and used as desired.
How to select muesli, breakfast cereal
Those who prefer not to make their own cereal can purchase a number of commercial varieties, including a version by Kellogg's. Natural food or health food stores often have several lesser known brands, or may make their own cereal in bulk. Muesli flakes, muesli cereal, fruit muesli cereal, fruit muesli, frosted flakes cereal, dried fruit muesli, frosted corn flakes cereal are a few common variations available. Check the expiry date before buying.
Culinary Uses of muesli, breakfast cereal
· Oats can be soaked overnight in juices or water instead of being toasted fresh. Newer additions to the ingredients in this cereal are constantly appearing. Different fruits, like berries and grapes, or tropical fruits like apples and bananas, are added.
· The addition of coconut flakes and macadamias can convert this cereal into Hawaiian muesli.
· Some people add honey or even chocolate to their homemade versions.
· Muesli can be used as a dessert topping, or added to yoghurt or cottage cheese
· Muesli is also a popular ingredient in recipes. It can be added to muffins, cookies, or warm fruit salad.
How to store muesli, breakfast cereal
Muesli can be freshly prepared or stored in an airtight container.
Health benefits of muesli, breakfast cereal
· Muesli is usually an excellent breakfast food because of its nutritional value. It is generally easy to prepare and also economical, depending on one's choices of additions.
· It is also quick to serve, once prepared, so it is an ideal choice for those wit busy lives
· Products made from whole oat and wheat grains are rich in fibre and essential trace elements.
· Milk products, often served with muesli, are a rich source of calcium and protein.
· People with a low tolerance to wheat gluten can prepare muesli at home or find gluten-free commercial brands in natural food stores. Eliminating the wheat flakes and substituting crisped rice or other crisped grains can significantly reduce the gluten. · However, one needs to be extra cautious while buying muesli, as it may contain added sugar. So make your choice wisely.
Glycemic Index of muesli, breakfast cereal
The varieties without added sugar or honey have low GI. The low glycemic index of muesli without added sugar or honey helps with diabetes control.