Last Updated : Jan 06,2018
Viewed 6566 times
Macaroons can be classified as a sweet or confectionery. They are crisp and biscuit-like, creamy or brown in colour, and made of coconut and egg white. Sometimes ground or powdered almonds or any other nut may be used instead of coconut. Sugar is also one of the active ingredients added. Due to the process of heating and caramelizing, the macaroons sometimes turn brown in colour. Sugar also aids in providing body and a soft texture to the macaroons.
Coconut Macaroon is the best variety known, especially in the United States. It is made using dried shredded coconut and has a soft chewy effect, like coconut cookies. Its flavour is dominated completely by the coconut. Versions dipped in dark chocolate or white chocolate are also becoming more commonly available. Nuts like almond slivers, pecans, cashews or other nuts may be added to the coconut macaroons.
In India, Thoothukudi in Tamil Nadu is considered the Macaroon Capital as it is one of the main macaroon manufacturing towns.
How to Select
• Macaroons are readily available at bakeries and supermarkets, sealed in plastic bags.
• Check the pack, manufacturing and expiry dates before purchase.
• Check for a smooth moist texture.
• The colour varies from shades of cream to brown, sometimes even a burnt brown colour.
• Macaroons made with coconuts are often piped out with a star-shaped tip, whereas macaroons made with nuts are more likely shaped individually due to the stiffness of the dough.
• You can select a variety of macaroons as per your taste.
• Macaroons are eaten as a snack, and like cookies they can be had with tea or coffee.
• You can dip these in melted chocolate to get chocolate-flavoured macaroon cookies.
• As a variation, you can conceal a blob of raspberry jam in the centre of the macaroon prior to cooking.
• Macaroons can be flavoured with various ingredients such as chocolate, maraschino cherries or orange peel.
• Try making refreshing Coconut Macaroon Ice-cream. Crumble 3/4 packet of coconut macaroons and soak in 1/2 cup of sherry. Soften 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream. Beat in cookie- sherry mix. Add red or green chopped cherries and nuts. Refreeze and serve.
How to Store
• Store them in a dry place.
• There is no need of refrigeration.
• Once the pack is opened, keep it in a vacuumed container and use before a rancid smell appears.
• Macaroons are a quick source of energy, and also nutritious due the presence of nuts, sugar and egg whites.
• Since Coconut Macaroon is made up of coconut, it boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
• Macaroons support tissue and muscle healing and repair, which means they can help repair sore muscles after a heavy workout, enabling the body to endure heavy exercise.
• Coconut flesh, water, milk and cream are utilized by the body to produce energy, rather than being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
• Egg white is a great source of Albumin, a high biological value protein required in the blood.
• Almonds are rich in Vitamin E, required for vitality of skin.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.