Garlic bread refers to bread flavoured with garlic. It is generally served along with pasta and other main courses, all around the world.
Several varieties of bread, such as Italian breads, baguette, etc., can be used to make garlic bread. The bread may be sliced, or used as a large chunk. A mixture of butter or olive oil, garlic, garlic powder, etc., is then spread on the bread. There are several ways of doing this:
1. You could make a mixture of butter and finely-minced garlic and brush on the bread.
2. Combine olive oil, minced garlic and garlic powder and brush on the bread; top with finely-grated cheese or sesame seeds.
3. Split open the loaf, and fill the cavity with butter and garlic.
Once the spread is applied in the preferred manner, the bread may be baked individually in an oven, grilled under a salamander, or covered with aluminium foil and then baked.
How to select
• If purchasing from a bakery, ensure they are freshly-baked.
• Check for manufacturing date, expiry date and packaging before purchasing from a supermarket.
• Most garlic bread loaves are packed in aluminium pouches – so you can conveniently reheat in an oven till the butter melts or till the bread is lightly warm.
• Garlic bread is a traditional accompaniment to Italian pastas like lasagne, spaghetti, linguini, etc.
• You can also serve sliced garlic bread along with soups, stews, gravies, or tossed salads.
• It can be toasted and had as a mid-day snack
• Slice left over garlic bread and cut into cubes. Toast and use as flavoured croutons for soups and salads.
• It is often served as a‘combi’ offer with pizzas at many outlets. In such a case, they are usually topped with a variety of cheese and herbs, grilled and then served along with chilli flakes.
• The benefit of garlic bread will change according to the bread used.
• If whole wheat brown bread is used to make garlic bread, then it will be loaded with fibre and other nutrients.
• Moreover, garlic is known to stimulate the immune system, help regulate blood sugar levels and help prevent heart disease.