Last Updated : Jan 22,2018
Viewed 16019 times
Also Known as
Leftover cake, pound cake.
Cake Crumbs generally refers to parts of cakes that are cut off (topped) before decorating them. It can be processed and used for fillings, binders for cakes and crusts.
An economical way avoiding wastage, cake crumbs can also be put to innovative use. For example, leftover bits of everything from pie crust, broken cookies, slightly-stale cinnamon rolls, slices of frosted birthday cakes, etc., can be mixed together and packed into a loaf pan or mould. Sweet juice (pineapple juice or syrup from fruit cocktail) can be poured over the cake and, then after a few minutes, a little red wine. Refrigerate for a few hours and then slice.Voila, you have an interesting dessert!
How to Select
• It is nowadays available in cake shops as pounded cake.
• Although made from leftovers, a reasonable freshness is still important. So, confirm on the dates with the shop keeper.
• A crumb coating can act as the basis of a smooth finish for your frosting; having a smooth surface not speckled with small crumbs makes your cake a much nicer and easier place to work on.
• There are different recommendations regarding what to use as a crumb coating. Some decorators use piping gel, strained apricot preserves or jelly to give a thin glaze coat that will help secure the surface. This glazing also can be used when preparing a cake.
• Another type of crumb coating is to use thinned butter cream frosting.
• With your crumb coating applied to the entire cake, refrigerate the cake and let it set. You can ideally refrigerate it overnight but even 15-30 minutes will do the trick.
How to Store
• Store the pounded cake in the refrigerator and use as desired.
• Do not keep for too long as it will become dry and sour.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.