Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12751 times
For many Europeans, a day without a bagel is a day wasted! A bread that originated from the Jewish communities of Poland, the Bagel is unique in many aspects.
It has a dense and chewy, and has a golden brown crispy outer surface with a doughy inside. A ring of yeasted dough is shaped by hand, boiled for a short time in water and then baked. This traditional method gives the bagel its unique texture.
Seeds like poppy, sunflower and sesame are often sprinkled on top of the bagel before baking. This adds crunch and flavour to the bread. Salt may also be sprinkled.
The bagels may be had as such, or packed with fillings to make sandwiches.
You can also try other bread roll recipes like Bread Rolls and Whole Wheat Masala Bread Rolls .
- Combine the yeast, 1 tbsp of sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a small bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar, yeast-sugar mixture, oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead it into soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough by pressing it lightly with your fingers.
- Sprinkle the plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well. If the dough is getting sticky while kneading, then sprinkle a little plain flour if required.
- Divide the dough into 18 equal portions.
- Take a portion of the dough on your palm, make a hole with help of your index finger and roll the dough with the help of another index finger into a shape of a donut of about 100 mm. (4”) in diameter and place on a baking tray.
- Repeat step 7 to shape 17 more bagels.
- Cover them with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine the honey and 4 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Put 3 bagels in it at a time and cook the bagels on a medium flame for 1 minute on each side.
- Repeat step 11 to cook 15 more bagels.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on 9 bagels and black sesame seeds on other 9 bagels evenly and place them on a baking tray at regular intervals.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 25 minutes.
- 15. Cool slightly and serve warm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per bagel
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.