Vendhayam Godhumai Rava, Broken Wheat and Methi Meal
by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 396 times
An exquisite and rare combination of broken wheat, green moong dal, fenugreek and garlic gives this South Indian dish a unique flavour and rustic mouth-feel.
It also scores high in terms of nutrition as broken wheat is rich in fibre , and raises blood sugar levels slowly as compared to rice. Fenugreek is also touted as a good ingredient for diabetics , which makes this a tasty and healthy rice substitute for diabetic people.
It can be served with hot and flavourful Sambhar or any other gravy. By adding more water and boiling, you can convert this Vendhayam Godhumai Rava into a porridge that can be enjoyed by itself.
- Soak the green moong dal in enough water for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add the broken wheat and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Combine the broken wheat, green moong dal, fenugreek seeds, garlic, salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mix well and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.