Sweet Kand Puri, Maharashtrian Upwas Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 4261 times
Sweet Kand Puri is a quick and easy recipe that will keep your tummy happy on a fasting day without breaking any rules!
Kand or purple yam is a winter root veggie, which arrives conveniently during the Maharashtrian month of Margashis, when fasting for five Thursdays is said to please Goddess Parvathi and bring good luck, happiness and prosperity to married couples.
To keep yourself satiated and energetic even when you fast, you can take these energy-packed Sweet Kand Puris. Simple yet delicious, these puris made of sweet kand and rajgira flour have a mild sweetness, which is very enjoyable.
You cannot roll these puris with rolling pins. You have to press slightly with your fingertips. It is a bit difficult, but you will get it right with a bit of practice.
You can also try other recipes like Faraali Misal and Upvaas Thalipeeth .
- Combine all ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough without using any water.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions.
- Take a cling wrap and cover the rolling board with it, grease it with oil and dust it with rajgira flour.
- Take one portion of the dough, roll it between your palms into a round and flatten it lightly, dust it with the rajgira flour and put it on the dusted rolling board.
- Press slightly to form a 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle using your fingertips.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 14 more puris.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, and deep-fry 2 puris at a time on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per puri
|Vitamin A||71.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.