South Indian Mixed Vegetable Khichdi, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12959 times
This South Indian Mixed Vegetable Khichdi is fondly called as ‘kootanchoru’ or ‘kadhamba sadham’ and is often made when there is a family get-together because it is flavoursome and satiating, and makes a convenient one-dish meal.
It is loaded with veggies, and the paste gives it a nice mouth-watering flavour that does away with the need for any accompaniments.
We have made this traditional recipe a bit more healthier by removing coconut from the paste, and replacing white rice with brown rice.
Nevertheless, we assure you that it tastes just as awesome! Loaded with lots of veggies, this fibre-rich recipe is also good to control high blood pressure.
Try flavoursome low-salt recipes from other regions, such as the Matarsutir Kochuri and Masala Stuffed Parota . .
- Combine the brinjal, carrot, potato, drumstick and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the brown rice, toovar dal, salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the cooked vegetables along with the water, prepared paste and tamarind, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour it over the prepared rice and vegetable mixture, mix well and serve it immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.