Sourdough Bread, Homemade Eggless Sourdough Bread
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9987 times
Sourdough bread is a special type of French bread made with a hard dough that is allowed to ferment naturally for more than a day. This gives the bread a slightly sour taste.
Another speciality of this bread is the use of sea salt, which gives a nice salty crunch to the bread. It takes two days and a bit of preparation to make this bread, but it is totally worth the effort.
You can use this bread to make amazing starters and toasts. You can also use it like regular bread to make sandwiches, but remember that it is a bit salty.
You can store this bread in a paper bag or thick plastic bag for 2-3 days. It always tastes better a day after it has been made!
You can also bake other breads at home like Whole Wheat Ladi Pav , Multigrain Bread and Homemade Soft French Bread .
- Combine the yeast, plain flour, whole wheat flour and ½ cup of lukewarm water in a deep bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Take a cane basket and put a dry muslin cloth, sprinkle approx. 2 tbsp of plain flour, evenly over it. Keep aside.
- Combine the self-rising flour, olive oil and yeast mixture, mix well and knead it into a loose soft dough using enough warm water.
- Transfer the dough into a greased deep bowl, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Add the sea salt mixture and fold from up to down to incorporate it with the dough for atleast 5 to 6 times.
- Cover it again with a damp muslin cloth and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Dust little plain flour on a clean, dry surface and knead the dough again till smooth and form a dough ball.
- Place the dough ball in the dusted cane basket, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep it aside in a warm place for 45 minutes to prove and then keep this dough in the refrigerator for 14 hours.
- Place a 200 mm. (8”) baking aluminium dish in the oven and pre-heat oven at 220°c (440°f) for 30 minutes.
- Once pre-heated for 30 minutes, remove the aluminium dish from the oven with the help of a tong, dust it with the remaining 2 tbsp of plain flour evenly over it.
- Place the proved dough ball in it, make incisions in the centre with the help of a sharp knife
- Place the baking aluminium dish in the pre-heated oven, cover the dough with a dome shaped aluminium or a steel vessel and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dome shaped lid, with the help of the tong, lower the temperature to 200°c (400°f) and bake it again for 20 minutes, till the top is dark brown in colour and the crust is very hard.
- Remove from the oven, demould it and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut the sourdough bread into 12 equal slices using a sharp bread knife. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per slice
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.