Mexican Pita Pockets
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 498 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 68160 times
Soft pita breads made with whole wheat flour and filled with a spicy Mexican bean filling that will help to keep the blood sugar levels in check. Served with salad and a delicious mint dressing which add a bouquet of tantalising flavours to this dish.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Knead until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove till it doubles in volume (approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll out each portion into a circle of 100 mm. (4") diameter and 6mm. (1/4") thickness.
- Cook the pita breads on a hot tava (griddle) over medium heat on each side for a minute or until the bread puffs up and a cavity is created in the bread. Remove and keep aside.
- Cut each pita bread into 2 halves and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the beans till they are overcooked.
- Drain and the grind the beans to a coarse paste in a blender or mash them.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the garlic and spring onion whites and sauté till the onion whites have turned translucent.
- Add the rest of ingredients and sauté till the mixture has dried up. Cool completely.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a patty.
- Warm the pita bread halves on a tava (griddle).
- Fill each pita bread half with some tomatoes and lettuce, one bean patty and a spoonful each of the mint dressings on top.
- Repeat for the remaining pita bread halves and other ingredients to make 3 more pita pockets.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.