Khatti Meethi Dal, Sweet and Sour Zero Oil Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 50 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37144 times
Great taste without oil! If that’s hard to believe, just try this recipe first. This Khatti Meethi Dal features a very different combination of ingredients. You might never have tried adding roasted beaten rice to a dal recipe, but you will be amazed by the brilliant texture and flavour that it gives.
Likewise, kokum gives its distinctive sourness to the recipe, while radish boosts the flavour and aroma. This unique assortment of ingredients not only gives the Sweet and SourZero Oil Dal a wonderful flavour, but also a good deal of fibre and iron.
Serve with rice and roasted papad .
- Combine the dal, radish, turmeric powder, little salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the beaten rice and coconut and dry roast on a slow flame for 2 minutes.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and dry roast on a slow flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked dal, tamarind pulp, jaggery, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.