Jowar Til Nimki, How To Make Jowar Til Nimki
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8321 times
Jowar Til Nimki is a mouth-watering snack with the rustic flavour of jowar flour, the inviting aroma of til seeds, and the spicy touch of peppercorns.
The traditional Bengali version of this snack is made with maida and deep-fried too. We have turned it into a healthy treat by replacing maida with jowar and wheat flours, and cooking the nimki on a tava.
This keeps the fat content of the snack low, which is very important for diabetics to keep health issues at bay.
The Jowar Til Nimki can be enjoyed as an evening snack, and also be carried to work to stay off junk food.
- Combine the jowar flour, whole wheat flour, sesame seeds, pepper powder, green chilli paste, 1 tsp of oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into semi-stiff dough, using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into a thin round circle of 150 mm. (6”) in diameter using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cut each circle into 8 equal size long strips and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with 1 tsp of oil.
- Cook the strips, a few at a time, on hot tava (griddle), while pressing them using folded muslin cloth, till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serves
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.