French Apple Tart
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 66 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13238 times
When other fruits are in season, apple sometimes tends to take the back seat because it is available all round the year!
So, if you find apples sitting in your fruit bowl for too long, think of some exciting recipes to make with it. Something like – yes, you guessed it right – a flaky, crumbly, melt-in-the-mouth apple tart.
Touched by the magic of cinnamon, the classic French Apple Tart is a dessert worth pining for. It is one of the most beautiful desserts, guaranteed to impress.
The tart is not too sweet, and lets the flavour of the apples come to the fore. When you bite into the French Apple Tart, let it rest on your palate for a moment so you can feel and savour each component - the crumbly tart, the juicy filling and the baked apple slices on top.
Serve the tart when it’s warm – not right off the oven but not too cold. That way it’s just perfect for a rainy day!
Try other recipes like Pineapple Jam Filled Bread Tarts or Peach and Lemon Tart
- Heat 5 tbsp of water in a saucepan, add the chopped apples, cinnamon and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 12 to 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Let it cool completely.
- Sieve the flour. Add the butter and salt and rub it in with your fingertips.
- Add approximately 1½ tbsp of ice-cold water to make a dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle.
- Arrange the rolled out dough in a greased 175 mm. (7”) diameter pie dish.
- Press the dough into pie dish and prick with a fork evenly all over.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the pie crust and press it gently with a spoon.
- Arrange the sliced apples on top of the filling in concentric circles so that it resembles a flower.
- Brush the apples with milk and sprinkle the sugar evenly over it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 mins.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.