Caramelized Rum and Raisin Ice-cream
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 59 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9703 times
Perfect to serve at an elite gathering, the Caramelised Rum and Raisin Ice-Cream has a very strong flavour of rum, which is made even more exciting by the interplay of caramelised sugar. It is important to allow the rum and raisin mixture to ferment for a few hours, to improve its pungency. Add it to the ice-cream only after it is semi-set, otherwise you will not get the accurate flavour and texture. Although it seems like a long procedure, it is actually easy to prepare compared to the fantastic outcome!
- Combine the rum and the raisins in a small bowl, mix well and cover with a lid and keep aside for 4 hours.
- Combine the cornflour and ¼ cup of milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the remaining 2 ¼ cups of milk and sugar in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk-cornflour mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- For caramelizing the sugar, add the sugar in a small non-stick pan, and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Gradually add it to the milk, while stirring continuously, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Cool completely, add the fresh cream and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow aluminium container. Cover with an aluminium foil and freeze for 6 hours.
- Pour the milk- mixture into a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the milk-mixture in a deep bowl, add the rum-raisin mixture and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture back into the same aluminium shallow container. Cover with an aluminium foil and freeze for approx. 10 hours or till set.
- Scoop and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.