Bengali Masoor Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10391 times
A simple, every day dal from the Bengali repertoire, you can whip up masoor dal even when you are in a rush, to serve along with rice or roti.
A dash of the traditional Bengali tempering of panch phoron (mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds and fenugreek seeds) makes this nutritious protein-rich dal irresistibly aromatic and also easier to digest.
- Combine the masoor dal with 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick kadhai and bring to boil.
- Add the turmeric powder, green chilli paste and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the masoor dal is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan and add the panch phoron seeds and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add it to the dal and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
- Panch phoron seeds is a mix of ½ tsp each of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds (kalonji) and fenugreek seeds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.