Yam Kalan, Kerala Curry
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Yam Kalan, Kerala Curry in Hindi)
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28668 times
Kalan is a spicy, curd-based gravy recipe from Kerala. However, follow these instructions closely and take care not to overheat the dish, as the curds will separate and leave you with quite an unpalatable dish if you cook it on a high flame.
If done right, however, this dish is sure to transport the diner to culinary heaven!
This homely and satiating curry goes perfectly with a bowl of rice . Also do try other South Indian curries like Chettinad Curry or Malabari Curry .
- Combine the yam, turmeric powder, pepper, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame (for approx. 12 to 15 minutes) till it is cooked, stirring once in between.
- Add the prepared paste, mix gently and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek seeds, red chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the curry, mix well and simmer for another minute. Serve hot.
- You can use raw bananas instead of yam as a variation to yam kalan.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||238.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.