Ripe Mango Curry, Mangalorean Ripe Mango Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17310 times
With ripe mangoes, you think of making everything from ice-cream and smoothies to fruit salads and muffins – everything except a savoury curry, right?
Just think – why not? Savoury and spicy, at the same time tangy and sweet, the Ripe Mango Curry is one in a million. Exotic but dashingly tasty, this curry is made with common spices and everyday ingredients like ginger, garlic and tamarind.
It is absolutely no-fuss and can be made on any day when the mango is in season. Yet, despite all the ease of making it, it seems special. Indeed, the Ripe Mango Curry is a must-try.
Enjoy it with a bowl of steaming hot cooked rice. Try other ripe mango recipes like Mango in Coconut Curry and Fajeto .
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add the peppercorns, red chillies, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and dry roast them on a medium flame for 3 minutes or till the spices leave an aroma. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer these roasted spices into a mixer, add the onions, garlic and ginger and blend into a smooth paste without using water. Keep the onion-spice paste aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared onion-spice paste and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 7 minutes or till the oil separates from the curry, while stirring continuously.
- Add the mango pulp, jaggery, tamarind pulp and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the peeled whole mangoes to the curry and mix gently.
- Serve hot with cooked rice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.