Last Updated : Dec 05,2021
Viewed 21672 times
Also Known as
Rice Noodles are made from rice flour, water, and salt. However, sometimes other ingredients such as tapioca or corn starch are also added in order to improve the transparency or increase the gelatinous and chewy texture of the noodles. They can be thick or very thin.
Boiled rice noodles
Rice noodles are much more delicate and fragile than normal wheat noodles. To boil rice noodles, put the rice noodles in a deep broad bowl. Put the water to boil in another pan and once the water starts boiling, pour the water on the noodles, stir gently, cover and keep aside for 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. Once the noodles are cooked or they turn translucent, drain well and wash with cold water to prevent them sticking to each other due to the steam present. Toss with oil and use as required.
How to Select
They are usually packed in plastic and are ready to use immediately. Choose from the varieties available in the market. It is easily available in small as well as large packets, buy as desired. Also, they are made of different ingredients. Hence, make certain to read the label and then purchase. Read well the dates stamped - manufacturing as well as expiry.
· Thin rice noodles are used in soups, salads, and spring rolls.
· Medium noodles are the most versatile, and can be used in soups, stir-fries, salads, or as a bed for meat or fish.
· Wide noodles are best used in soups, stir-fries, and braised dishes.
· Before using rice noodles, soften them in hot water. This will take anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour, depending upon the thickness of the noodles. After they've softened, boil or stir-fry them briefly, usually not more than a minute. It's easier to stir-fry noodles if you break them into shorter lengths.
· Rice noodles are also used in Thai cuisine, both fried and cooked in water.
· Rice noodles are used as vermicelli for making various snacks. They can be stir-fried in ghee or oil and made into sweet dishes (with milk and sugar) or savoury delicacies (with salt and spices).
How to Store
To store noodles keep in a cool dry place in an airtight container. Use noodles before the expiry date gets over
· Rice noodles, especially the ones made with white rice flour, are low in protein, fat and fiber.
· To enhance the nutritional content, cook it in whey water.
· These noodles are ideal for people with wheat related food allergies.
· Serve it covered with a thin sauce or in your favorite stir-fry.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.