Puff Pastry rolls are ready to bake pastry bases which can be prepared into puff pastry. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced cook, using Puff Pastry Roll makes pastry baking an easy task. Puff Pastry is a deliciously light, flaky pastry made from dozens of layers of specially prepared pastry dough. This painstaking process yields a pastry made of dozens of layers. The pastry "puffs" when baked causing the layers to separate. The Puff Pastry roll is ready to bake, so you can skip the work and still enjoy perfectly made golden, flaky pastry. You would need to remove as many pastry rolls as needed (wrap unused sheets in plastic wrap or foil and return them to the freezer). Thaw the rolls at room temperature about 30 minutes to an hour. Work with one pastry sheet at a time, keeping the others in the refrigerator. Unfold pastry rolls on a lightly floured board, countertop or pastry cloth. Seal filled pastries by brushing a mixture of beaten eggs and water between layers, then pinching or pressing them together. For thin, crisp pastries, roll sheets to a 1/4-inch thickness. Bake prepared rolls in a preheated conventional oven (not a microwave) and the flaky or puffy pastries can be enjoyed.
How to select
Check the expiry date before buying.
· The puff pastry roll is used to prepare crispy puff pastries. You can cut pastry with a sharp utensil such as a knife, pizza wheel or pastry tool. For decorative edges or shapes, use a fluted ravioli cutter or cookie cutters and fill the pastries with your choice of sweet or savory fillings
· The most common filling are fruits, jams, chocolate cream or vegetables.
· To turn pastries a deep golden-brown, brush tops with a mixture of 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water just before baking. To add a special texture and flavor, sprinkle chopped nuts, seeds, ground spices or grated cheese on top.
· For extra-thin, crisp puff pastry, set a second baking sheet on top of the filled pastry before baking. A lattice pattern can be created by topping the pastry with a metal cooling rack, then turning it at a right angle half way through the baking
· For variety, stir fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blueberries, finely chopped apples, thinly sliced bananas, mini- chocolate chips or nuts as filling.
· For flavorful toppings, try sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or bananas with whipped cream or a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top.
How to store
The ready to use pasty roll should be stored in an airtight container. To freeze home made pastry dough or rolls, cool and wrap them in aluminium foil or place them in a freezer bag for up to a month. To reheat, place them in single layer on baking sheet, cover with foil and heat at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
· Puff Pastry roll provides a quick source of carbohydrate thus keeping hunger away.
· Choose the healthier alternatives like fresh fruits or green vegetables as filling or topping on pastry rolls for a tasty and healthy breakfast or snack item.