Last Updated : Oct 18,2021
Viewed 43815 times
Also Known As
Kadak phulka, Papad Roti, Crisp Roti
What is khakhra, khakra?
Khakhra is a round shaped, crisp roti, generally eaten as a snack. It is very popular among the gujarati community. You can make it at home or buy ready made. It is made by roasting the soft phulkas on a heated pan with the help of a cloth or a wooden pressurizer, until the roti turns hard to break. The taste is completely different from the original roti, somewhat like biscuits.
How to select khakhra, khakra
You get a wide variety of khakhras in the market, specially in food stores which keep snack foods.the different types include Whole Wheat Khakhra, Masala khakhra, Jeera sada, Butter, Pav Bhaji khakhra, Panipuri khakhra and so on. The flavoring ingredient is added while making the dough. Select crisp ones, which are hard to break, specially take care in monsoon. Due to high humidity, they may turn soft and lose its texture. If buying from market, check the date and material of packaging.
Culinary Uses of khakhra, khakra in Indian Cooking
· Khakhra is considered as the most preferred breakfast items, to be had along with the tea or milk specially among the jain community.
· A wide variety of khakhras can be prepared by just varying the flavor you need.
· You can try applying mixed fruit jam over your khakhra. This is specially liked by kids.
· It can also be had with pickle or chutney.
· Khakhra-Papad ki churi can be made by combining manually crushed papad and khakhra and adding little cooking oil with salt and red chilly powder.
· Simply you can apply little melted ghee and sprinkle chaat masala or methi masala powder over the khakhra to give a yummy sour flavor.
· It can also be exchanged with the regular chapati and be had with the subji; like methi papdi subji can be had with khakhra.
How to store khakhra, khakra
Khakhra should be stored in an air tight container so they do not turn soggy.
Health benefits of khakhra, khakra
Depending on the ingredients the khakhra are made, its health benefits can vary. But in general most khakhra are a good source of energy.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.