graham cracker crumbs
Last Updated : Feb 03,2018
Viewed 9327 times
Graham cracker crumbs are made by crushing graham crackers, a type of flat and crisp cookie made with graham flour and sweetened with honey. Graham flour is a special form of whole wheat flour wherein the constituent bran, germ, and endosperm are ground separately, the first two coarsely and the third finely. It is named for Sylvester Graham, a forerunner of the health food movement. Graham developed this form of flour in the 1830s in the hope of diverting people away from the less healthy refined white flour.
Although graham crackers were once touted as health food, today they are a much-loved snack especially amongst children. They are also used as the main ingredient for making graham cracker crust.
How to select
• Graham crackers are sold both as crackers and as crumbs.
• Preparing graham cracker crumbs at home can be a bit difficult as food processors don't break up the graham crackers evenly. A rolling pin works well, or you may put the graham crackers in a small bowl and mash with a pestle.
• If buying from a store, read the nutrition facts and select crumbs made from graham flour only and not a combination of graham and refined flour.
• Always check the expiry date.
• Open a box of graham cracker crumbs and combine it with a little sugar and melted butter. Press this mixture into individual tart pans and letit chill. These tarts can then be stuffed with a filling of cream cheese, melted white chocolate and sour cream, or other toppings of your choice.
• It can also be used to make graham cracker crust, a type of pie crust made with graham cracker crumbs usually flavoured and stiffened with butter or vegetable oil. It is the most common crust for cheesecakes.
How to store
• Store the crumbs in an airtight container.
• Graham cracker crumbs are rich in B vitamins and dietary fibre.
• They are a much better way to prepare pies and cheesecakes than the nutrient-deprived refined flours.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.