Chopped fresh apricots
Wash the apricot with water and dry it with a kitchen towel. Take a sharp knife, slice it from the top to remove the stem and then cut it into half from the centre. Cut the half portion into another half and remove the seed from the centre. Place one piece on a chopping board and make vertical slits on it at regular intervals. Line all the long pieces together and make horizontal slits at regular intervals to get chopped apricot.
Sliced fresh apricots
Wash the apricot with water and dry it with a kitchen towel. Take a sharp knife, slice it from the top to remove the stem and then cut it into half from the centre. Cut the half portion into another half and remove the seed from the centre. Place one piece on a chopping board and make thick or thin slices.
· Apricots in its fresh form are a wonderful addition to any fruit salad or dessert recipe.
· The juice from apricots can be drained and thickened with flour or cornstarch to make a fruit sauce for ice cream or pancakes.
· Freeze the drained juice in an ice cube tray; use instead of ice cubes in cold drinks or iced tea or Use it as part of the liquid when making gelatin desserts.
· Apricots can be substituted for their cousins peaches in most recipes, so feel free to experiment. They work well in desserts and confections. Complimentary spices include curry, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, and star anise. For a real treat, try apricots in any recipe combined with pistachios or almonds.
· Dried apricot is extensively used in baked products, cakes and confectionery.
How to store fresh apricot, fresh jardalu, fresh khubani
Keep apricots cool to prevent over ripening. Place hard apricots in a paper bag and let ripen for a day or two. Keep away from heat and store in the refrigerator if required. They tend to over ripen quickly, so eat it or use it as early as possible.
Health benefits of fresh apricot, fresh jardalu, fresh khubani
Fresh apricot is rich in natural sugars, vitamin A
and vitamin C
. These key vitamins are essential for healthy skin
. Not being high in sodium and being a good source of potassium
, it can be enjoyed by people with high blood pressure
. The small quantity of fibre
it lends, can be beneficial for heart
and also help in promoting gut health. One apricot is less than 30 calories and with all the other nutrient it offers it can form a part of a weight loss menu