Last Updated : Dec 10,2020
Viewed 39546 times
Also Known as
What is fresh figs, fresh anjeer Fresh figs are lusciously sweet with a texture that combines the chewiness of their flesh, the smoothness of their skin, and the crunchiness of their seeds. They are available in varied colours and textures. Ripe figs are soft and tasty, and fit to be eaten as it is or to be added to fruit salads. Raw figs are tart but make a tasty addition to spicy curries.
Figs grow on the Ficus tree, which is a member of the Mulberry family. They are unique in that they have an opening, called the ‘ostiole’ or ‘eye’, which is not connected to the tree, but which helps the fruit's development by increasing its communication with the environment.
Wash the figs and cut off the stem using a sharp knife. Place it on a chopping board and slice into half. Place each halve on a chopping board, and cut roughly into big pieces. Figs are generally cut into larger pieces, because they are mushy and tend to become soggy if chopped too finely.
Wash the figs and cut off the stem using a sharp knife. Place on a chopping board, and cut vertically into 2 halves. Cut each halve into 4 square pieces to get large sized cubes. If you wish to make slightly smaller cubes then cut each halve into 6 square cubes. Figs are generally cut into larger pieces, because they are mushy and tend to become soggy if chopped too finely.
Wash the figs and cut off the stem using a sharp knife. Slice using a sharp knife by cutting vertically across the cutting board to get round slices. Slice them thinly or thickly as per the recipe requirement.
How to Select figs, fresh anjeer
• Figs do not ripen well in the fruit basket. So, they must be picked ripe from the trees. When buying too, choose figs that are ripe. They should be soft yet slightly firm, yielding when pressed.
• Ripe figs have a very short shelf life, and must be used within a few days of purchase. So, buy in small batches.
• Select figs that are clean and dry, with smooth, unbroken skin.
• Use your nose. Smell the fruit. If it smells slightly sour, it has already begun to ferment. Avoid buying such fruits.
• When figs get beyond their prime, they begin to collapse inward and lose their round shape. So, keep an eye on the shape too.
Culinary uses of figs, fresh anjeer
Make your own homemage Jams with fresh figs
Fresh fig is a tasty and economically priced fruit that is available in plenty in India when the fruit is in season. It is so tempting that we often end up coming home with a rather large batch.
However, the fruit is perishable so we also have to think of many nice ways in which to consume it! This Homemade Fresh Fig Jam
is perhaps one of the best options. Made with jaggery and lemon juice, this Fresh Fig Jam is very healthy and irresistibly tasty.
So aromatic and flavourful is it that you will end up having a few slices more of bread. You can also have it with chapathis and dosas! Store it in an airtight jar in the fridge, where it’ll stay good for a week.
Fresh figs to make milkshake
The Fresh Fig Banana Milkshake
is a must-try when fresh figs are in season. The milkshake uses minimal ingredients so as to allow the natural flavour of figs to shine, and it is really effective too.
Bananas help to give a uniform, creamy consistency and volume to the milkshake. Very filling and packed with goodness this milkshake is great for kids and adults.
• Before eating or cooking figs, wash them under cool water, gently remove the stem, and pat dry.
• Add fresh figs to your porridges and salads.
• Poach figs in juice or red wine and serve with yogurt or frozen desserts.
• Make a salad of quartered figs and garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.
• Fresh figs stuffed with goat cheese and chopped almonds make a delectable dessert.
How to Store figs, fresh anjeer
• It is important to keep fresh figs cold to slow deterioration.
• Use them immediately or store in a plastic bag in the coldest part of your refrigerator for up to two days.
• Figs can be frozen whole, sliced or peeled in a sealed container for ten to twelve months.
• Canned figs will be good for a year in your pantry.
• Remainders of canned figs can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for a week.
Health Benefits of figs, fresh anjeer
• Potassium, found in abundance in figs, helps to control high blood pressure.
• Figs are a good source of dietary fibre, making them a good weight loss tool.
• Their fibre content also makes them good for bowel management. Four to five figs consumed in the evening or night eases bowel movements the next morning. It is good for people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) also.
• Figs have also been shown to lower triglycerides.
• They are also good for those with diabetes, as they keep blood sugar levels in check.
• An excellent fruit source of calcium, figs can help improve bone density too.
Nutritive Information for Fresh Figs (Fresh Anjeer):
1 fresh fig is about 45 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 17 calories
Protein – 0.6 g
Carbohydrate – 3.4 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber –1 g
72.9 mcg of Vitamin A = 1.5% of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
2.3 mg of Vitamin C = 5.8% of RDA (about 40 mg)
36 mg of Calcium = 3.6% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
13.5 mg of Phosphorus = 2.25% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.5 mg of Iron = 2.5% of RDA (about 20 mg)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.