Last Updated : Dec 17,2020
Viewed 9290 times
What is bread buns?
Bread Buns are typically small, round breads, which can be flavoured with an array of ingredients. They have a dome shape and a flat bottom, and a light brown crust is visible on the dome. Contrary to common opinion, bread buns need not necessarily be sweet. They can be savoury too and baked plain or with fillings. Savoury bread buns are usually served with soups.
The basic ingredients that go into the making of buns are flour, sugar, eggs (optional), butter or fat, and yeast. The dough is fermented and after proving it is shaped into small rounds, brushed with egg wash or milk wash and then baked. A bun can be long and skinny, short and round, or in many different shapes and sizes. They can also be flavoured with various spices and other ingredients. Fruit buns, cinnamon buns, etc., are popular amongst people of all ages.
While most buns are baked, Chinese Steamed Buns are an interesting variant. These are made from dough of flour, sugar, fresh yeast, sesame oil and hot water. The dough is rolled into individual crescent shapes, allowed to rise for around 30 minutes and then steamed for 10 minutes. They are served with Oriental dishes like Peking Duck, Crispy Duck etc.
Sesame bread buns
Sesame Bread Bun, an Italian accompaniment, is a popular variety of savoury buns with the unmistakeable aroma of toasted sesame.These crunchy buns have a dome shape and a flat bottom. A light brown crust is visible on the dome. The basic ingredients that go into the making of sesame bread buns are flour, sugar, eggs, butter or fat, black or white sesame seeds and yeast. The addition of white and black sesame seeds adds an extra crunch to these buns and also gives them a nice, speckled look.
How to select bread buns
• Before buying, ensure that it is a fresh lot; you can make out from the crust and aroma of the bread buns
• Also check the manufacturing date, expiry date and packaging.
Culinary Uses of bread buns
• Sweet bread buns are usually flavoured with tutti-fruiti and serve as a good snack for children.
• Bread buns, whether sweet or savoury, can be buttered and had for breakfast
• Slice savoury bread buns along the middle and use as a base for mini burgers.
• You could also slice buns along the middle, spread a generous helping of fresh cream or butter along with your favourite jam, to make the ever-popular ‘Bun-Butter-Jam’!
How to store bread buns
• Buns are best consumed when fresh.
• However, you can cover leftover buns in plastic film, place in a bread box and then store under refrigerated conditions. Try and use as soon as possible.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.