How many calories does one serving of Aloo Palak have?
One serving of Aloo Palak gives 203 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 52 calories, proteins account for 10 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 141 calories. One serving of Aloo Palak provides about 10 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Aloo Palak recipe. Always a great hit, potatoes and spinach come together yet again, in a Punjabi version of Aloo Palak. Once you have peeled and chopped the cooked potatoes and chopped the washed spinach, this dish is a breeze to prepare as it simply makes use of readily available spice powders and everyday ingredients. Simple though it sounds, the apt combination of ingredients results in a true tongue-tickler! Enjoy it hot with your favourite Indian bread.
Is Aloo Palak healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why. Made from aloo, palak, spices and vegetable oil.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
What's the problem?
1. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
2. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Aloo Palak?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
What is a healthier sabzi option ?
Here are some very healthy sabzis like dahi bhindi ki sabzi recipe, chana palak, mushroom mutter masala, mooli ki sabzi recipe, bhindi masala recipe.
Can healthy individuals have Aloo Palak?
Not suggested. Better to stay away from potatoes.
Aloo Palak is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
4.Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 203 calories that come from Aloo Palak?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 1 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 20 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 27 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 35 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.