Spinach and Cheese Sambousek, Lebanese Spinach and Cheese Ghughras
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 23 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35873 times
Shaped and prepared like ghughras, the Spinach and Cheese Sambousek is a famous Lebanese dish that features a plain flour shell containing a succulent spinach and cheese mixture. We have used crumbled feta cheese as it gives the most authentic flavour and texture to this dish.
The spinach and cheese mixture is perked up with chopped onions, garlic and aromatic Baharat powder, an exquisite Lebanese spice powder that has the sharp flavour of pepper and red chillies along with other spices like cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Roasted and chopped walnuts added to the stuffing increase the appeal of this dish. Serve the Lebanese Spinach and Cheese Ghughras hot and fresh to enjoy the crispness of the shell along with the soft, crumbly consistency of the stuffing.
A must in the Mezze Platter .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into semi-stiff dough using enough water.
- 1. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, baharat powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture in a deep bowl, add the feta cheese and walnuts, mix well. Divide the mixture into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions and roll a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of spinach and cheese mixture in the centre. Fold it over to make a semi-circle. Seal the ends completely using a little water.
- Twist the edges.
- Repeat for the remaining dough circles and stuffing to make 14 more sambousek.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few sambousek at a time on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.