Pani Puri Delight
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1350 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 74415 times
This is a delightful journey for your palate. It is truly a fantasy for anyone who is a pani puri addict like me. I enjoyed this unforgettable journey on the streets of delhi where we began with the hing pani, which was sharp, and then proceed to a mellowed down mild jeera pani flavoured with a sweet date and tamarind flavoured water. We moved on to a lemony mint water and finished with a dessert - like kewda flavoured water. It does take a lot of time and effort to make these flavoured waters but i assure you they will be well worth it. All these can be made upto a day in advance and refrigerated.
- Combine all the ingredients with 2 cups of water in a large bowl.
- Allow it to rest for 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain through a muslin cloth and add 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Chill before serving.
- Substitute the asafoetida in the recipe for hing pani with 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera), roasted and tied in a muslin cloth in the above recipe. Chill before serving.
- Remove the cumin tied in muslin cloth just before serving.
- Grind the mint leaves and chillies to a paste in a blender.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients and 1½ cups of water.
- Chill for at least 3 to 4 hours before serving.
- Combine the sugar with 2½ cups of water and cook till the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Allow to cool completely. Add the black salt, chaat masala, lemon juice and kewra essence and mix well.
- Chill for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
- Make a hole in the centre of each puri.
- Fill each puri with a little boondi.
- Serve one filled puri dipped in the hing pani, the second puri dipped in the jeera pani, the third puri dipped in the khajur imli pani, the fourth puri dipped in the limca phudina pani and the fifth dipped in the kewra pani.
- Repeat for the remaining puris.
- Serve immediately.
- The puris are eaten in the above mentioned order.
- The Limca phudina pani can even be served as a delicious jaljeera.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.