by Tarla Dalal
Added to 83 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10635 times
A calzone is a traditional Italian oven-baked snack, which is often described as a folded pizza. Basically, a plain flour dough pocket holds delicious toppings, in some way comparable to our desi favourite, the samosa!
In this yummy and satiating calzone, the filling is a creamy, cheesy mixture of mushrooms and onions perked up with herbs and other seasonings.
The creamy mouth-feel of the stuffing really captivates your heart when you bite into the Mushroom Calzone!
You can also try other mushroom-based snacks like the Mushroom Snack and the Mushroom Pizza .
- Combine 2 tbsp of lukewarm water, sugar and dry yeast in a bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, yeast-water mixture and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the green chilli, garlic and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the mushroom and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the plain flour, milk, oregano and salt and pepper powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cheese, mix well and cook on a medium flame for few seconds, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 10 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air and knead the dough using oil till smooth.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Put 2 tsp of pizza sauce on one side of the circle and place a portion of the prepared mushroom stuffing over it.
- Fold over the other halve to make a semi-circle and press the edges with help of a fork.
- Place the stuffed calzone on a greased baking tray.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 to make 9 more calzone.
- Brush the calzones with milk.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 25 minutes. Brush the calzone with melted butter.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||66.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
|Folic Acid||4.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.