Kesar Pista Kulfi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7572 times
Today, there are innumerable ice-cream varieties, from every part of the world, available at store shelves. However, the joy that the Indian palate experiences when a spoon of Kulfi rests on it, knows no bounds! Indeed, one of the most well-known desi ice-creams, the Kesar Pista Kulfi has a special place in our heart, which no other flavour can replace. With the crunch of nuts, the lovely colour of saffron, natural creaminess of reduced milk and the rich aroma of spices like saffron and cardamom, this ice-cream is beyond comparison. Allow the milk to reduce properly, in order to get a really intense flavour. Removing the kulfi in tact from the mould is an art, but just follow our instructions to get it right.
- Combine the cornflour and 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the saffron and 1 tbsp of warm milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the milk and sugar in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and bring to a boil on a medium flame, while stirring occasionally. This will take approx. 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 20 to 25 minutes, while stirring occasionally and scrapping the sides of the pan. Keep aside to cool slightly for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture, pistachios and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into 7 kulfi moulds and freeze it for 8 hours.
- To unmould, allow the moulds to remain outside the refrigerator for 2 minutes and then unmould by inserting a wooden skewer stick or a fork or an ice-cream stick in the centre of the kulfi and pulling it out.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per kulfi
|Vitamin A||199.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||11.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.