Herbed Jowar Strips with Spicy Orange Salsa
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 34 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10844 times
If you thought finger foods like chips and dips are impossible to prepare without oil, then this recipe of Herbed Jowar Strips with Spicy Orange Salsa is an absolute must-try!
A very unique salsa of oranges and tomatoes perked up with spice powders, is served with baked crispies made of whole wheat and jowar flours flavoured with herbs and spices. The herbed jowar strips are intentionally kept a little bland, in order to complement the spicy orange salsa perfectly.
Do not prepare the salsa too munch in advance as it tends to release water. Mix the salsa gently, a little while before serving, and place it in the fridge till ready to serve, this lip-smacking snack combo is a well-planned nutritional package as the vitamin C in the salsa helps your body to efficiently absorb the iron from jowar, thereby boosting your haemoglobin and immunity levels.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough warm water.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Prick the circle using a fork at equal distance and cut into 5 equal sized long strips using a sharp knife.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 20 more strips with the remaining 4 portions of the dough.
- Arrange all the strips on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc (360ºf) for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
- Serve these herbed strips with spicy orange salsa.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.