Added to 92 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 64603 times
This pickle is an old traditional favourite of Gujarat and is of enormous popularity amongst all Gujaratis. Gunda is a kind of a berry and since it is available only from March to June, it is bought in bulk quantities to be made into a pickle. Gundas have to be destalked and cleaned well from the insides because their seeds are surrounded by a sticky substance which has to be removed before stuffing. Gundas are stuffed with spiced mixture of pickling spices, grated mangoes and mustard oil. It is very essential that the gundas are completely immersed in pickle oil to preserve them for a long time.
- Destalk the gundas. Lightly crush the gundas using a pestle.
- Remove the inside seeds using a sharp knife. Since a sticky substance surrounds the seeds, it is advisable to dip the tip of the knife in the sea salt and then remove the gunda seeds.
- In a sterilised glass jar, spread half of the stuffing mixture on the base of the jar.
- Stuff each gunda with ½ teaspoon of the stuffing mixture and place it inside the glass jar.
- Spread the remaining stuffing on top of the gundas.
- Press the gunda down in the jar with the back of a spoon so that the oil completely covers the pickle.
- The gundas should be kept completely covered with oil because oil acts as a preservative and enables the pickle to be stored for upto a year.
- The pickle will be ready to eat after 3 to 4 days.
- If the oil does not form a covering layer, you can add an additional ¼ cup of mustard oil to the pickle on the next day.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||600 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.