Dahi Vadas, Dahi Bhalla, North Indian Chaat Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 448 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 405144 times
Fluffy, golden-coloured vadas might taste good as such, but they taste even better when made into tongue-tickling Dahi Vadas.
Soak the vadas in water to make them softer; drown them in sweetened curds; and serve with a drizzling of khajur imli ki chutney and a sprinkling of spice powders. If you wish, you can garnish the Dahi Vadas more elaborately with sev or south Indian mixture, finely chopped onions, and so on.
Can be served as a side dish to the Main Course .
- Combine the urad dal, green chillies, ginger and salt in a mixer and grind to a smooth paste using approx. ¼ cup of water.
- Divide the batter into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry 3 vadas at a time till they turn light golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Combine the curd and the sugar in a bowl, mix well and keep the sweetened curd aside.
- Take enough water in a deep bowl and soak the vadas in it for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the excess water from the vadas and flatten lightly between your palms.
- Arrange 3 vadas on a serving dish and top with half the sweetened curd mixture.
- Top with a little chilli powder, 1 tbsp of khajur imli ki chutney, a little cumin seeds powder and black salt.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make 1 more serving.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.