Kottu Dal, Sri Lankan Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 53 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15832 times
Kottu Dal is a comforting dal recipe made of masoor dal, tempered traditionally and mixed with coconut milk. The coconut milk is what gives this famous Sri Lankan dal a soothing flavour, while a dash of lemon juice added before serving gives a tangy twist to it.
Soak the dal for half an hour before cooking in order to get the correct consistency and texture.
This dish can be enjoyed with plain Rice . For a complete meal combo serve along with Rotis , Subzis and some Kachumber .
- Combine the dal, turmeric powder and little salt along with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Whisk the dal using a whisk and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the lemon juice, mix well and serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.