Varan Bhaat Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 1933 times
Varan Bhaat is a famous Maharashtrian dish of steaming hot rice topped with ghee and lentil curry. The toovar dal is prepared in a simple and homely manner that will appeal to everybody. Onions, tomatoes, green chillies and spices add to the flavour of the dal making it a perfect accompaniment to cooked rice. Serve this satiating dish hot and fresh, without forgetting the dollop of ghee!
Recipe Description for Varan Bhaat, Maharashtrian Varan Bhaat
- Combine the toovar dal, tomatoes, cumin seeds, onions, oil, green chillies, salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the turmeric powder and coriander and mix well using a whisk.
- Put 1 cup of cooked rice in a serving bowl, top it with ¼th of the dal mixture and 1 tsp of ghee evenly over it.
- Repeat step 5 to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.