Spicy Sindhi Dal Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 5175 times
Chana dal has a somewhat rustic but very satiating texture, flavour and aroma compared to other dals, and if used properly, it can turn into a brilliant accompaniment, as in the case of this Spicy Sindhi Dal. Smartly flavoured with everyday ingredients like green chillies and onions, this dal gets its intense taste from a combination of readily available spice powders and a dash of lime juice as well. Serve hot with a bowl of steaming rice or phulkas.
Recipe Description for Spicy Sindhi Dal
- Combine the chana dal, salt, turmeric powder and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, garam masala and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally and mashing it lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Add the cooked dal and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with onion rings and a sprig of coriander.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.