Pindi Chole video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 2560 times
Pindi Chole is a classic dish from the Punjabi repertoire, which is flavoured with a large assortment of spice powders and other ingredients like ginger, garlic, tomatoes and onions, which lend an irresistible flavour and aroma to it.While it is common in most parts of the country to flavour chole with garam masala and chole masala, what makes the Pindi Chole really different from the rest is the combination of kabuli chana with chana dal and the procedure of cooking both in water along with whole spices and tea leaves tied in a cloth bag.This greatly boosts the colour and flavour of the dish, provided you follow the traditional procedure and patiently cook the chole mixture till the water dries out. Serve with Rotis , Parathas or Butter Naan and Onion Rings .
Recipe Description for Pindi Chole, Punjabi Pindi Chana Recipe
- Make a small potli by tying the cardamom, cinnamon and tea powder in a 2" x 2" piece of muslin cloth.
- Combine the kabuli chana, chana dal, potli, baking soda, salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Discard the potli and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, chilli powder, chole masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kabuli chana along with the water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 16 minutes or till the water dries out, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.