Sweet chilli sauce refers to a chili sauce with added sweetening ingredient such as fruit or a refined sugar to impart a sweet taste to the otherwise hot chili sauce. It is made with sugar, tomato paste, chilies, salt, spices and garlic powder. There are many recipes for sweet chili sauces - the common ingredient being chili peppers. The peppers are infused in anything from vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, and alcohol to fruits and vegetable (tomato) pulp. Other ingredients, including fruits and vegetables such as carrots, and squash are sometimes used to add flavor, mellow the heat of the chilis, and thicken the sauce's consistency. Use as an alternative to regular ketchup and top sandwiches and croquettes.
How to select
Always check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration or gas formation ( bubbles) in the bottle, especially near the tip.
· Sweet chili sauces usually come as a thick paste, and are used either as a dipping sauce or in stir frying. Ideal for breaded and fried foods, barbecue, hamburgers, tacos, rice, etc.
· Sweet chilli sauce is a popular condiment in Western and Malaysian cuisine. It is popular as a dip in European Chinese Restaurant dishes such as prawn toast and spring rolls.
· Marinating the chicken with sweet chilli sauce and then grilling on a barbeque is fantastic.
· Sweet Chili sauce is a common ingredient in preparation like Thai stir fry, sweet and hot tempeh, Chinese noodles, Italian Pasta, Chinese Fried rice, soups, stews, etc.
· Pour this sauce over steamed vegetables for a beautiful combination of colour and flavour.
How to store
Keep the bottles in a dark cool cupboard for 3 months before using if you can. After opening the seal, keep sauce in the fridge and add a teaspoon to your next dish for delectable taste.
· The presence of pepper, tomato, oregano and onions in chilli sauce increases the anti oxidant quotient of the sauce
· Chilli sauce is low in fat content and is good source of Vit A, Vitamin C, iron and manganese.