Last Updated : Nov 02,2018
Viewed 7739 times
Plum jam refers to a jam made with plum as the main ingredient. The plums are cut into small pieces or crushed and cooked in sugar syrup. The preparation of plum jam traditionally involves the use of pectin as a gelling agent, although sugar or honey may be used as well. The fruits are heated with water and sugar to activate the pectin in the fruit. The mixture is then put into containers. You may also take advantage of fresh plums in season to make delicious plum jam at home. Any variety of plums may be used. Place chopped plums, water, and lemon juice in a large non-aluminum stockpot. Stirring often, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft. Stir in sugar. Return heat to high and bring back to a rolling boil while constantly stirring. Add pectin and return to a boil while stirring. Continue to stir and boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Let rest for 1 minute and the delicious plum jam is ready.
How to select
Good plum jam has a soft even consistency without distinct pieces of plum, a bright color, a good fruit flavor and a semi-jellied texture that is easy to spread but has no free liquid. It is better to opt for organic varieties with low organic sugar content. They also have the added benefit of containing no added preservatives or flavors- you get the original and natural taste.
· Plum Jams are best uses as a spread on plain bread or a toast.
· Plum Jams may be used in puddings, pies and even ice creams to impact a distinct fruit flavor.
How to store
Store plum jam in a clear wide mouthed plastic or glass containers and keep it in a cool dry place.
· Unlike butter and cheese, plum jams do not contribute to the cholesterol and fat content and are thus a preferred breakfast accompaniment.
· Pectin is a substance contained in all fruits. During the heating process of making jams, this substance gets modified. The modified pectin helps in reducing your chances of having cancer.
· Jams are rich in sugar and a good source of energy. Since they are high in calories, the weight loss seekers and diabetics should use jams sparingly.
· Plums are rich in fiber, vitamin C, A and antioxidants.
High ( above 70)
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.