Enchilada sauce is made with red chiles, garlic, water, and other ingredients and seasonings. It is available as pre packaged bottles or cans and can even be prepared easily at home.At home, it may be prepared by adding the garlic ,onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce. Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. This taste superb with cheese topped or stuffed freshly baked enchiladas.
How to select
Select the sauce as per the hotness required n your recipes. Always check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration og gas formation( bubbles) in the bottle, especially near the tip.
· This delicious sauce is usually used to put over nachos, tacos, tortillas, enchiladas and tamales. Add a little mild cheddar cheese and pop them in the oven for a mouth watering meal.
· You can also use this enchilada sauce as the base for delicious chile beans and a sauce to go on top of burritos.
· Pour green chilli sauce over steamed vegetables for a beautiful combination of colour and flavor.
How to store
Keep the bottles in a dark cool cupboard for 3 months before using if you can. After opening the seal, keep sauce in the fridge and add a teaspoon to your next dish for a delectable taste
· The presence of pepper, tomato, oregano and onions in enchilada sauce increases the anti oxidant quotient of the sauce
· This sauce is low in fat content and is good source of Vit A, Vitamin C, iron and manganese.
· And since its pungent, tangy taste enhances food so uniquely, it can easily replace fattier condiment options such as mayonnaise, butters and sugary ketchups.