How many calories does one serving of Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe have?
One serving of Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe gives 92 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 44 calories, proteins account for 3 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 45 calories. One serving of Healthy Ponkh Snack provides about 5 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See aloo bhajia recipe | quick potato recipe | crispy potato bhajia | Indian bhajia with potato |
aloo bhajia is a delight for the Indian diner. It is a flavoursome delicacy which can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Learn how to make crispy potato bhajia.
Crispy bhajias made with grated potatoes, perked up with green chillies and coriander! Ensure to grate the potatoes thinly, so they bind well. This quick potato recipe makes a good snack treat for kids who come hungry after school.
To make aloo bhajia, keep the oil to heat in a non-stick kadhai, in the mean while combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well. Once the oil is hot enough, drop spoonfuls of the mixture in the oil and deep-fry till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Repeat step 2 to make more bhajias. Serve immediately with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Green Chutney (Faraal Recipe)
It is interesting to note that this Indian bhajia with potato is held together purely by the starch in the grated potatoes and does not use any other binder like boiled potatoes, plain flour or cornflour. This makes it all the more crispier. Indeed, a perfect snack to have garma garam with a hot cup of Masala Chai!
With no use of any flour for binding, this Indian bhajia with potato also qualifies as a fasting or vrat recipe. You can enjoy them during Janmashtami, Navratri and even during Sankrant and Holi. Serve with green chutney and not tomato ketchup then.
Tips for aloo bhajia. There are some things you need to take care of to make sure the bhajias don’t disintegrate. 1. Firstly, you need to squeeze out any water from the grated potatoes before including the other ingredients. 2. Also, you need to add the salt only at the very end, just before you deep-fry the bhajias because the mixture will start letting out water after you add the salt. So, to save time, keep the oil on the stove and start preparing the other ingredients, so that by the time oil is hot enough, the remaining ingredients will be ready. You can add salt and start frying the bhajias.
Is Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : Coriander is a fresh herb often used as a flavour enhancer in Indian cooking. It is mainly used as a garnish. This is the best way to use it - no cooking. This preserves its vitamin C content which helps to build our immunity and bring that sparkle to the skin. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and then they don't function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff..
Can healthy individuals have Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe?
No, It is not healthy. Better to avoid it.
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes, oats upma, baked sev , baked whole wheat puris, paneer pudina tikki or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Buckwheat Pancakes, Kuttu Pancake Diabetic Snacks
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet.
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
One serving of Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe is high in
1. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 92 calories that come from one serving of Crispy Potato Bhajias, Aloo Bhajiya Recipe?
Walking (6 kmph) = 28 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 9 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 12 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 16 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.