Vegetables in Coconut Milk, Mangalorean Style Valval
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 69 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31704 times
Vegetables in Coconut Milk, also called Valval, is a sumptuous mixed veggie preparation in traditional Mangalorean style.
Here, the veggies are cooked in a base of mildly sweetened coconut milk, and flavoured with a tempering of cumin and green chillies.
Simple but elegant, Vegetables in Coconut Milk is a dish that appeals to everybody. You can serve it with dal and hot rice , or with rotis .
Although you can slightly alter the combination of veggies used, do not miss out on traditional ones like red pumpkin and ivy gourd, because they are important to get the authentic effect.
- Combine ¾ cup of coconut milk and plain flour in a bowl, whisk well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, slit green chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetables and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of coconut milk, ½ cup of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk-plain flour mixture and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with rice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.