Sprouted Green Gram Ghassi, Mangalorean Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2051 times
Ghassi is a special Mangalorean curry that is flavoured with a freshly-ground masala paste, made of coconut, onions, roasted spices, and other ingredients.
This special masala instils abundant energy into the dish, which may be made of varied veggies or pulses like green gram, chana, potatoes, cauliflower, etc.
Here is a delicious Sprouted Green Gram Ghassi, in which the rustic flavour of green gram mingles with the zesty masala to give you a totally irresistible taste.
The overtones of garlic make this quick and easy curry all the more delicious. Serve it with hot rice.
Also try other dishes from the Mangalorean region like Mangalorean Tendli and Chana Masala or Vegetables in Coconut Milk .
- Heat a broad non-stick pan add the 4 red chillies, coriander, cumin seeds, ½ tsp mustard seeds and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Cool the mixture slightly and transfer it in a mixer and add the coconut, onion, garlic cloves, tamarind and ¼ cup of water and blend it till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the moong, tomatoes and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan , mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared coconut paste, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small non-stick pan, add ½ tsp of mustard seeds and allow it crackle.
- Once the seeds crackled add the 2 red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida mix well and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared moong mixture and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.