Broccoli and Cheese Tikkis in Pita Pocket
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 478 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17266 times
If you are familiar with world cuisine, you would surely have had a go at the Mediterranean favourite, Falafel. Here is an interesting variant of that delicious dish, created by stuffing homemade pita bread with scrumptious broccoli and cheese tikkis. The pita bread, although it sounds exotic, is quite similar to the preparation of other leavened Indian breads like kulchas and you just need basic ingredients and a tava to prepare it.
This fresh, aromatic bread is the perfect home for tasty tikkis that have an exotic feel, thanks to richly-textured broccoli and cheese. The application of garlic chutney gives the Broccoli and Cheese Tikkis in Pita Pockets a desi touch, similar to roadside favourites like Vada Pav .
- Combine the dry yeast with 2 tbsp of water in a bowl, cover and keep aside for 5 minutes or till the dry yeast completely dissolves in the water.
- Combine all the ingredients along with the yeast mixture in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove for 30 minutes or till the dough doubles in volume.
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions, roll out each portion into an oblong of 175 mm. (7”) length and 6 mm. (1/4”) thickness.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the pita bread on a medium flame on for 1 minute on each side or till the pita bread puffs up and a cavity is created in the bread.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cut each pita bread into 2 halves and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions, garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the fire, cool slightly.
- Add the cornflour, cheese and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into an oblong shape tikki.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) , grease it with oil, place the tikkis on it and cook on a medium flame using a little oil till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Fill a pita halve with 1 broccoli and cheese tikki, put 1 tsp of fresh garlic chutney and finally little onion and tomato slices evenly over it.
- Repeat step 1 to make 5 more.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.