Appa, Malabar Pathiri
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 57937 times
Appa is also called pathiri in Malabar cooking. These are essentially thin rice rotis that are dipped in coconut milk just before serving.
Serve these coconut milk dipped Appas with curries like Kadala Curry , Malabari Curry or Yam and Spinach Pulusu .
- Boil 1 cup of water with salt in a deep pan
- Add the rice flour while stirring continuously till the flour has absorbed all the water. Remove from the flame and knead into a soft dough, using warm water if required.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- On a wooden board, sprinkle a little water. Place each ball on the wooden board and with wet hands, press it evenly to make a round of 75 mm. (3") diameter circle. Keep aside.
- Heat an earthen tava (khapri) and cook the appas on one side on a low flame. When it leaves the sides, turn it on the other side. As it rises, press it along the sides till it puffs like a ball.
- Repeat with the remaining balls to make 5 more appas. Serve hot with coconut milk.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per appa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.