Viewed 5717 times
Mixed sprouts can be a combination of moong bean, amaranth, anise seed, barley, basil, lima bean, chickpeas, dill, fenugreek, flax seed, green lentils, black-eyed peas, green peas etc. You can sprout the beans or lentils of your choice and relish. Sprouts can grow from the seeds of vegetables such as broccoli and radishes, from grains such as alfalfa and buckwheat, and from beans such as lentils and soybeans. Sprouts vary in texture and taste. Some are spicy (radish and onion sprouts), some are hardy, standing up to brief cooking (moong bean and soybean), others are more delicate (alfalfa and pea) and are used in salads and sandwiches to add texture and moistness. The flavors range from a garden-fresh sweet pea to a mild radish. Hence, a combination mixed sprouts will give different colors, flavors, and textures, giving a subtle nutty flavor and appealing palate.
How to Select
Boiled mixed sprouts
It is always beneficial to sprout each differently and the boil and further mix. As each bean and lentil is different and takes different time for cooking. Hence, advisable to boil them differently and then mix. Do not overcook, as it might turn mushy.
Choose crisp sprouts with firm, moist, white roots. Do not buy musty-smelling, dark, or slimy sproutsCulinary Uses
· A colorful snack, so easy and versatile to use in many delicious recipes.
· They are fantastic as healthy salad and sandwich ingredients, excellent for vegetarian or vegan meals, such as dips, soups and casseroles.
· They are popular in Indian, Chinese, Mexican and Korean cuisine in tasty dishes such as falafel and bhel puri.
· Best eaten raw, they are quick and easy to use straight from your fridge. As sprouts are not cut and are still living, their cell walls remain intact, so do their nutrients and they remain fresh and delicious with a crunchy texture throughout their shelf life. Sprouts are fast food at its very best!
· Sprouts make delicious sandwich fillings. They are ideal for filling fajitas and wraps, for adding to stir-fries, sprinkling on soups, stirring into casseroles … the perfect ingredient to enhance your healthy diet.
· As for salads go well with creamy dressings made with tofu, yoghurt or mayonnaise. These taste nutty and delicious, they go well with our sweet crunchy with fresh orange pieces, walnuts and raisins for a super energy fruit and nut salad.How to Store
Store sprouts in the vegetable crisper for up to 3 days and use as soon as possible. It should be refrigerated in the ventilated plastic container.Health Benefits
· A balanced blend of the best sprouting seeds to provide a crisp and crunchy medley of flavours and textures.
· Absolutely delicious and ideal for providing a vitamin, protein and rich fiber fresh vegetable all the year round.
· Sprouts are very special. Sprouts are live food, comprising essential and balanced nutrients for people, as life proceeds from life.
· Life and health go together Sprouts are a powerful source of antioxidants in the form of vitamins, minerals and enzymes, which assist in protecting the body from free radical damage. Free radicals are created in our body by some foods, some cooking oils, preservatives, artificial colours, flavours, additives, and other substances in our environment.
· Sprouts are alkaline and have an alkalising affect in the body. If we desire health, the body needs to be alkaline. The immune system is made strong by high alkaline and alkalising foods.
· Sprouts are a good source of essential fatty acids (EFA). The average diet is generally deficient in EFA. These fatty acids are essential to life, perform many vital body functions and play a major role in immune defenses.
· Sprouts are one of the highest food sources of fiber, essential for good health. High fiber foods make us chew more slowly and make us feel more satisfied.
· Chlorophyll-rich foods are our most powerful blood cleansers and blood builders. Sprouts grown to the chlorophyll-rich two-leaf stage have been shown to be effective in overcoming protein-deficiency anaemia.
· Sprouts are low in kilojoules (calories), so are good nutrient-dense food for weight watchers.
· Sprouts have a low glycemic index (GI), which makes sprouts valuable for health.
· Sprouts can overall be termed as Preventive Medicine.